Job Description — Education Intern
Part-time: 7-20 hours per week
Interns are encouraged to seek college credit for this real-world experience.
Internship is unpaid.
The Florida A&M University Foster-Tanner Fine Arts Gallery is looking for an Education Intern to join our organization for the Fall 2019 semester. The ideal applicant will possess strong communication skills and an interest in art and education. The Education Intern will work directly with an experienced museum educator who will expand the intern’s knowledge about museum education and provide guidance for professional development. Interns will gain an understanding of and experience in the field of museum education, including gallery activities and assistance with implementing public programming.
Duties will include:
- Assist with school tours and group tours of the museum, including leading tours and/or hands-on activities for school field trips.
- Assist Director in developing new programming, including on-site, online, and in-school programs.
- Research topics relevant to new and existing programs.
- Assist with volunteer tour guide training and tour research and development.
- Assist with public programs and events, including manning reception desk, set-up and tear-down, and leading children’s activities.
- A basic understanding of and respect for learning styles and teaching techniques
- Knowledge of art, art technique, and the multidisciplinary application of art.
- Must have organizational skills and an aptitude for organizing information in a simple, usable, and amendable fashion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must be willing to work with diverse groups of people including educators, volunteers, children, and parents
- General computer skills
- Additional Qualifications:
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite software skills (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Work closely with professional museum staff.
- Work directly with K-12school students and teachers on school tours.
- Help develop innovative education programs.
- Develop pre- and post-visit materials and lesson plans.
By August 23, 2019, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
FAMU Foster-Tanner Fine Arts Gallery
1630 Pinder St Tallahassee, FL 32307