Purpose: The “Miss Sarah” Fellowship for Black Women Writers aims to provide Black women writers a restful environment conducive to reflection and writing. It also offers uninterrupted time to plant the seed of an idea for a new writing project or to develop or complete a project underway.
For 2023 the Fellowship will focus on the genres of non-fiction, biographies and memoirs.
What the fellowship entails: The selected writer will receive a ten-day residency in July 2023 and can choose whether to stay at Trillium Arts’ rural “Firefly Creek” apartment in Mars Hills, NC or at E. Patrick Johnson and Stephen Lewis’ “Montford Manor” residence near downtown Asheville, NC. Participants will receive a $1,000 stipend and transportation to and from Asheville, NC. Additional benefits will be custom tailored to the needs of the awardee.
Dates: The preferred dates for a “Miss Sarah” Fellowship in 2023 are July 10-20. However, the panel will consider other dates.
Who is eligible? Black women writers at any stage of their careers are invited to apply. For applicants outside of the United States, please note that travel expenses will only be covered within the United States. International airfare will be at the expense of the applicant.There is no application fee.
Timeline: The Deadline to apply is Friday, January 6, 2023 at 11:59pm EST. The deadline is firm and the submission portal will be closed at the deadline. Applications will be reviewed by a panel and applicants will be notified by late March, 2023.
Please upload and submit all of the following documents, either as PDF or Word documents. Files should not exceed 10 MB each.
· CV or resume (not to exceed 5 pages)
· A one-page statement of purpose outlining the proposed project.
· A one-page statement that addresses the question of, “Why Trillium Arts?” Be specific in how a Fellowship at Trillium Arts will benefit your creative work.
· Two letters of recommendation. These letters should be submitted separately by the outside recommenders. The letters should specifically refer to your writing project. Provide email addresses below and your recommenders will receive an automatic link to use to submit their letters on your behalf. Recommendation letters need to be received by the deadline as well or no later than two days after the Applicant deadline. Please plan accordingly to ensure that your recommenders have enough time to submit.
· A writing sample of your proposed project. Work-in-progress is highly recommended. Writing samples should be in English.
· MA and MFA theses, PhD dissertations, and edited collections are not eligible and will be disqualified. Your work sample must be original.
· Your name and the title of your written piece should appear on the top of each uploaded file.
· Please submit your writing sample in ONE PDF document. The sample should not exceed 15 pages. All submitted documents should be double-spaced, with one-inch margins, and in an easily readable 12-point font.
How To Apply:
All applications are accepted via Submittable.com. The application Deadline is Friday, January 6, 2023 by 11:59pm EST.