Soon to enter its seventh season, Southern Shakespeare Company (SSC) is a growing non-profit, professional theatre company based in Tallahassee, Florida with a year-round education mission seeking to make Shakespeare accessible to a diverse audience, cultivate an appreciation of the arts, train theatre artists, and bring free Shakespeare to Cascades Park every Spring.
The Executive Director will manage the organization’s artistic and administrative operations, including marketing/communications, finance, development, and grants. SSC has a small staff with an ensemble of artists working to support the company’s mission.
We are looking for a dynamic leader who has both organizational vision and the skills to strategically execute that vision.
POSITION: Executive Director for the Southern Shakespeare Company
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors HOURS: Flexible, annual, part-time avg. 25-30 hours/week for the first year with aim to be full-time after this first year.
This position entails the following responsibilities:
- Working with the Board of Directors and SSC staff to create the season of educational and theatrical programs and productions;
- Overseeing the schedule of productions for the season;
- Managing staff of Artists, Directors, Producers, Production Managers, Performers/Actors, Stage Managers, Designers
- Managing the Company’s budget, educational programs, artists’ productions, and special events;
- Managing grants
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT (50%):
- Maintain, support, and further develop a strong Board of Directors; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for organization, and attend all board meetings
- In conjunction with the board and the Director of Strategic Planning and Partnerships,, engage and energize SSC volunteers, board members, committees, and partnering organizations
- Oversee execution of Strategic Plan
- Support the mission and vision of the Company
- Expand upon existing partnerships and begin to build new ones, establishing and/or deepening relationships with community leaders and mission-aligned organizations
- Attend & network at appropriate conferences and workshops as representative of the organization
- Oversee and manage accessibility efforts, including programming, recruitment, adherence to the organization’s ADA Plan, and attending Committee meetings, as needed
- Oversee and manage Front of House staff & volunteers for productions
- Oversee, manage, and continue to develop program/production/event evaluation metrics and practices
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS (25%)
- Supervise and support the Marketing & Communications Manager
- Oversee marketing plan and timeline
- Working with board and Marketing & Communications Manager, deepen and refine all aspects of organization communications
GRANT WRITING/MANAGEMENT (25%)
Write grants, maintain and manage the grants (including mid- and post-event reports), maintain a grant-writing database, and build and sustain relationships with current, new and potential grant-giving organizations and individuals.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Minimum of three years of non-profit management experience
- Investment in the communities that SSC services, including commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Experience managing/supervising staff
- Financial and fundraising management experience
- Experience serving on and/or working with a board of directors
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with people at all levels
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-direction – able to work independently and remotely, function productively, prioritize projects, accept direction, and make deadlines
- Ability to manage and share pertinent information with staff and board
- Ability to present, inform, and motivate individuals and groups about SSC’s mission, history, and programming
- Proficiency with Google Drive and Microsoft Office.
- Flexible schedule
- Diplomacy and patience along with a sense of humor 🙂
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21, 2020. Our goal is to hire this position in the Fall of 2020.
SSC places a high value on workforce diversity. EOE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AUGUST 21, 2020