The Matheson History Museum is seeking a full-time Executive Director to provide leadership and management for a non-profit local history museum which has been serving its north-central Florida community for over 25 years. This individual will be charged with implementing the museum’s mission to preserve and interpret the history and culture of Alachua County and its environs through community outreach, presentations and workshops, collection stewardship, and exhibition of archival materials, works of art, and artifacts. A professional with experience in overall museum management, curatorship, exhibits, research, fundraising, public programs, facility operations and the cultivation and fostering of alliances with local museums and other community partners is sought.
- Master’s Degree or Higher in Museum studies or a related field
- Knowledge of Museum Professional policies, issues, and strategies
- Leadership skills relevant to volunteer staff, museum staff, and a diverse public constituency
- Record of successful fund raising
- Knowledge of the local area and community preferred
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director oversees operations at the Matheson History Museum including:
- In conjunction with the Board President develop agendas and create all documentation for monthly Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings. Provide staff support for Board committee meetings, as appropriate, to ensure coordinated and efficient execution of projects.
- With oversight from Board Treasurer, utilize Quick Books to pay all invoices, payroll, and taxes, as well as to record all deposits appropriately in Museum bank accounts. Work with the Treasurer to adhere to operating and other budgets and audits.
- Oversee the Curator and other staff and volunteers in their work with collections. Work with the museum’s Collections Committee on collection issues, including new acquisitions, cataloging, loans, collections maintenance, etc.
- Assist the Board of Directors in representing the Museum at public functions. Maintain established working relationships and cooperative arrangements with other museums, history, culture and arts groups and community organizations. Produce and supervise successful distribution of all Museum publicity.
- Work with museum staff and interns to implement school and adult education programs.
- Work with museum staff and interns, committee members and Board members to oversee and implement the Museum’s annual calendar of events, including exhibits, public and educational programs, and other activities. Assist with development and implementation of permanent and temporary exhibits. Ensure a consistent interpretive Museum voice in all public and educational programming.
- Seek outside funding through grants and fund raising. Manage annual fund-raising events. Work with donors and granting agencies to solicit funds, and along with staff, manage grant-funded projects.
- Supervise staff in producing annual membership renewal campaign, and all other special campaigns, such as membership drives, The Amazing Give, Year-End solicitation, and other special fund-raising activities.
- Coordinate Museum’s rental schedule, including calendar, contracts, and fees.
- Maintain appropriate stock in Museum shop.
- Maintenance – Coordinate routine and emergency maintenance on all Museum property (Museum Matheson Library and Archives, Matheson House, and Tison Tool Barn). Oversee the rental of the Matheson House apartment to ensure all payments are up to date.
- Supervise staff to insure they are working appropriately and efficiently. Coordinate appropriate staff development activities. Supervise volunteers and interns to ensure effective operation of the Museum.
Salary: $50,000- $60,000 plus performance bonuses.
Benefits include paid vacation and sick/ personal time, and stipend to subsidize health insurance costs.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter addressing the position description, resume, and list of three references to the attention of Board President Greg Young at email@example.com. You may also mail your letter and resume to Director Search, Matheson Museum, 513 E. University Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32601. Your cover letter, resume, and list of three references must be postmarked on or before August 6, 2021 or submitted via email by August 10, 2021. Candidates will be notified beginning August 19, 2021 for interview requests.