The Communications Specialist I provides general support to the Senior Director of Communications. Additionally, the Communications Specialist develops targeted communication materials that support the Foundation’s goals and objectives.
– Write and edit donor stories, solicitations and other materials for various internal and external publications in accordance with accepted stylistic standards;
– Articulate key messages that advance the Foundation’s mission and goals;
– Assist Senior Director of Communications and other Foundation staff with writing, editing and proofreading letters, programs, gift proposals, talking points, press releases, invitations and advertisements;
– Identify story ideas, conduct interviews and research, and write stories for various websites and publications;
– Maintain current information and update content as necessary on websites and other electronic platforms;
– Keep abreast of fundraising, e-communications and communications best practices;
– Protect confidential information; and
– Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree required;
– Minimum of two years of professional experience in public relations, journalism, communications or related field, preferably persuasive writing and writing for electronic media;
– Experience in a university environment preferred;
– Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products;
Skills and Abilities:
– Superior verbal and written communication skills;
– Highly organized and detail oriented;
– Outstanding interpersonal skills to work effectively with a diverse audience of alumni, friends, faculty, staff, students and university community members;
– Ability to work independently, take initiative and follow-through on issues;
– Excellent project management skills and ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines;
– Willingness to work collaboratively as a member of the Foundation team, participate enthusiastically in the life of the University; and
– Customer-service oriented approach.
How to Apply
Visit foundation.fsu.edu/about/employment to apply for this position.