Call for Artists – “Voices of Extinction”
We are challenging the artists of the Forgotten Coast to present works for our exhibit “Voices of Extinction” to be held on October 17, 2020, at the River’s Edge Gallery in Apalachicola. This show was originally planned for April but canceled due to the global COVID19 pandemic. It is planned now as an open house but, will be held as a virtual exhibit if needed. This exhibit will be a visual expression of the crossroads humanity has reached. Your subject can be an animal, plant, or way of life that is extinct or on the brink of extinction. We are looking for two works from each participating artist in the medium of their choice.
1. A piece showing your depiction of an animal or way of life when it was flourishing.
2. A piece showing the future that replaces it. For animals, this could be a hybrid, a secret environmental niche hidden from humans where it still survives, a barren landscape, a new “Garden of Eden” devoid of humans… use your imagination. The idea is to get the viewer to think deeply about the choices we have ahead of us.
The call is open to both professional and student artists. Works will be on display on the day of the show and can be purchased that evening. Any works not sold will be on display in the gallery until December 15, 2020.
River’s Edge Gallery Apalachicola
59 Commerce Street
Apalachicola, FL 32320
POC: Donna Ingle phone 850-653-1031
Please include with submission proposal:
1. 3-4 images of sample work (jpg or pdf)
2. Statement of Interest – Any specific interest in the subject or past relevant works
4. A description of your proposed work (must be new work not shown before).