The Gadsden Arts Center & Museum is seeking an Art Museum Educator, whose primary role is to connect people of all ages and levels of experience with art making opportunities and interpretive experiences at the museum, online, and at partners’ sites. This museum professional is a creative team player who loves art, people, and learning. This is a full-time professional position with benefits, including paid health insurance, sick leave, vacation, and 3% matching retirement (after the required waiting period).
- Plan, implement, and evaluate current onsite, online, and community-based art and humanities education programs
- Work with the Curator to develop exhibition-based content for interpretive programs
- Evaluate department programs to ensure programs meet organizational priorities
- Make recommendations to redesign or replace programs as needed
- Develop relationships with partner organizations with overlapping missions and goals
- Recruit, coordinate and supervise contract instructors, interns, and volunteers
- Manage the Education Committee
- Assist with marketing and resource development
The successful candidate is
- A reliable employee who takes personal responsibility for doing high quality work
- A team player who enjoys collaboration, yet can work independently
- A flexible person who easily adapts to changes or challenges, and accepts direction
- An organized person who can plan long-term and manage multiple priorities
- College degree with major, minor, or certificate in studio art, art history, museum studies, or a field of study related to skills and knowledge needed for this position
- Strong communication, research, writing, and organizational skills
- Experience working with children’s groups
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Capacity for physical demands; must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree or above with a major, minor, or certificate in studio art, art history, museum studies, or a related field of study
- Museum based art education or studio art teaching experience
- Customer service experience
- Experience with design software, such as Canva, InDesign, etc.
- Love of art
Additional skills and experiences that will lead to success in this position:
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency with email marketing and social media marketing
Visit www.gadsdenarts.org for the detailed position description. Application instructions are in the sidebar to the left. The application must be complete to be considered.