Independent Contractor Position: hours and locations vary
Hourly Pay: $15-20 per hour, commensurate with experience
Schedule: 2-7 hours per week during the school year; summer hours possible
Reports To: Sarah Black-Sadler, Museum Educator
The Gadsden Arts Center & Museum seeks an outgoing, versatile independent contractor to assist in the ArtReach program, Gadsden Arts’ in-school art class program. The ideal candidate has experience with children, art education or studio art, and is interested in creating a welcoming and inclusive creative environment for visitors of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and ages.
- Develop ArtReach projects, including samples, instructions, preparing materials, setup and cleanup.
- Design and teach discipline-based art classes, with students ranging from elementary to high school age.
- Introduce students to art history, as well as new studio skills such as sketching, sketchbook practices, art basics, warm-up activities, and planning.
- Provide individualized instruction in the application of skills to the completion of larger projects.
- Expose students over time to a variety of mediums and concepts.
- Capture and report accurate student statistics.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent and 2 years college coursework
- Experience in a museum, education, art education, or studio art teaching position or at least one year of academic studies related to Studio Art, Art Therapy, or Art Education
- Must past Level 2 Background Screening
- Physical qualifications: ability to stand/move for long periods, ability to lift 25lbs, ability to demonstrate art projects, e.g. painting, printmaking, cutting, etc.
- Must be able to travel to present classes on-site at schools.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Knowledge of current art education theories and practices
- Knowledge of art history
- Experience working in a classroom environment
- Possible availability to contract for other relevant teaching positions, such as workshops, summer art camp, and art history classes